Fried Eggs and Potatoes (Revuelto Gramajo)
French-fried potatoes and meat are tossed in beaten eggs. The most common meat component of revuelto gramaho is chopped ham. Sausages and bacon are popular substitutes. In this recipe, I used sausages.Revuelto Gamajo is an iconic breakfast dish in Argentina and Uruguay. "Revuelto" means scrambled but the significance of "Gramajo" is a subject of debate. It is capitalized because it is supposed to be someone's name — the person for whom the dish has been named. Who he was exactly, no one can seem to agree.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the potato sticks until golden and crisp. Scoop out and set aside. To make them retain their crispiness longer, move them to a rack while you cook the sausages and eggs.
- Pour off the oil from the pan leaving only about a teaspoonful.
- Heat the oil and fry the cubed sausages until nicely browned. Lightly browned is fine but, if you want more caramelization, go for deeply browned. Just don’t burn the sausages.
- When the sausages are done, pour in the beaten eggs. Cook, stirring, until set.
- Taste a piece of egg. If the seasonings and spices in the sausages aren’t enough to flavor the eggs sufficiently, sprinkle in salt and pepper until you get the balance that pleases you.
- Add the fried potatoes to the sausages and eggs. Toss until heated through.
- Garnish the revuelto gramaho with torn cilantro and sliced chilies before serving. Totally optional but both add so much depth to this simple dish.
Choose highly flavorful sausages for this dish. The final taste of revuelto gramaho depends largely on the spices and seasonings in the sausages. Please so not use canned sausages or hotdogs. They just won’t work.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!