Savory Bacon Pepper Pancakes
Make your pancake batter, stir in bacon, bell peppers and scallions, then cook as usual. Instead of the traditional sweet syrup, pour melted cheese over them. Oooh, they’re really good.
For the cheese topping
- 1 cup grated cheese any soft cheese should melt well but mozzarella is not recommended for this recipe
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Heat a non-stick pan. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat until a little fat has been rendered.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and scallions. Cook, stirring for about a minute. Transfer the mixture to a plate and cool.
- While the bacon mixture cools, make the pancake batter.
- Stir together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg and milk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour in the melted butter and fold in.
- Add the bacon mixture to the batter. Stir lightly to combine.
- Reheat the pan (where some bacon fat goodness still covers the bottom) and start cooking the pancakes (see notes after the recipe).
- You should be able to make about eight pancakes with the ingredients given above.
- For the topping, stir together the grated cheese and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for about two minutes or just until the cheese is soft enough to be stirred into a thick, smooth sauce.
- Stack the pancakes and pour some cheese sauce over them. If you want added depth of flavor, color and texture, sprinkle with more sliced scallions and a little cayenne.
Despite the addition of bacon and vegetables to the pancake batter, the procedure for cooking the pancakes is the same as though you were cooking regular pancakes. Click here for a visual guide.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!