Cabbage, Carrot and Pineapple Coleslaw
Coleslaw, a salad made with shredded raw cabbage, originated from Europe. The traditional dressing is vinaigrette. Hard to believe, perhaps, for many of us who grew up who were introduced to coleslaw-with-mayo as a side dish to KFC fried chicken.Moving even farther away from coleslaw as we know it, the salad ingredients can be a lot more than cabbage. Carrot, red onion, bell peppers are usual. So are fruits like apple and pineapple. The cabbage doesn’t even have to be finely shredded. It can be cut into strips or squares.I am not a huge fan of vinaigrette so my coleslaw has mayo for its dressing. It also has roughly chopped pineapple.
- Remove the outermost leaves of the cabbage and discard. Rinse the cabbage and drain.
- Using a super sharp knife or a mandoline, shred the cabbage as finely as you can. Keep cutting just until you reach the core. Discard the core.
- Peel the carrot and julienne. You may slice it thinly using the mandoline then cut into matchsticks.
- Place the shredded cabbage, julienned carrot and drained pineapple in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to distribute everything evenly. The best way to do this is with the fingers of both hands.
- Add the mayo to the vegetables. Toss (oh, please DON’T MIX) lightly just until everything is coated with mayo.
- Taste the coleslaw. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
Fresh or canned pineapple may be used for this recipe. Fresh or canned, make sure to drain the pineapple well before tossing with the vegetables. Coleslaw ingredients can be a lot more than cabbage. Carrot, red onion, bell peppers are usual. So are fruits like apple and pineapple.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!