Green Beans Casserole
Green beans sauteed in butter are mixed with cream and milk, and topped with crispy onions and breadcrumbs—crispy on top and creamy like soft cheese inside.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a bowl, toss the sliced onions with 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat a frying pan. Over medium heat, cook the flour-coated sliced onions without adding any oil. Stir often. Cook until lightly browned and crisp.
- Add the panko to the onions. Cook, stirring, for about a minute until the bread crumbs are lightly browned. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Over medium heat, add the green beans (which you may optionally cut in halves if they are rather long). Toss to coat every piece with butter. Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, for about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the remaining flour and stir well. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in the milk and cream. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened. Stir in the nutmeg. Taste. Add more salt and pepper, if needed. Stir in half of the browned onion slices and bread crumbs.
- Pour the beans with all the sauce into an 8″x8″ baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining onions and bread crumbs over the beans.
- Bake at 375F or just until the sauce is bubbly and the topping is nicely browned and crisp.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
Asian food lover?Visit Devour.Asia for travel stories, food tales and recipes!